For Salvationists, the act of making a difference is key to their identity as Christians. But behind every action is a deeply felt motivation, borne out of commitment and consecration. Keys for Kenya, a new recording of musical offerings by Patricia Owen, combines both worlds, being a practical fund-raising project on the one hand, and a vehicle for prayer and meditation on the other.
The album begins suitably with an invitation to sit down in the Kingdom of God. As we accept this call to rest together with diverse others, we begin a musical reverie which describes the many influences that have informed our Christian journey. Each song has significance. Every melody is compelling.
The overall content might best be described as a collection of music held in deep affection by the artist. Many are dedicated to Salvationist friends and colleagues of personal significance. Some are taken from the rich choral library of our Songster music. Others belong to the world at large, and are familiar and thought provoking as we encounter them through Patricia’s skilled piano arrangements, all but one of which is her own invention.
Comment from James Curnow who is the composer of Worship The Lord – Track 3:
” I can’t thank you enough for sending me this wonderful setting on Worship the Lord in the Beauty of Holiness. The way Patricia enhanced the text with her arrangement, filling it with a depth of meaning only possible through a personal understanding of the text, makes listening all the more enjoyable for for me. If I were a pianist, which I am not, I would have wanted to write an arrangement just like this. May the Lord continue to bless your piano ministry. Jim”.
KEYS FOR KENYA – List of tracks
- They Shall Come From the East John Larsson
- Morning Has Broken Traditional Gaelic Melody
- Worship the Lord James Curnow
- God of All Wonders (Nalada) Zdenek Fibich
- As the Deer Martin Nystrom
- Fall Surrender (Medley) Joseph Kosma/Winfield S. Weeden
- Here I Am, Lord Dan Schutte
- Draw Me Nearer William H. Doane
- Make Me a Channel Sebastian Temple
- Thou Wilt Keep Him in Perfect Peace Robert Witty
- Glorify Thy Name Donna Adkins
- Hush Now Darrel V. Archer
- A Time to Pray (Medley) Anon/Johann Steiner/Icelandic folk tune/Arthur Arnott
- Come Into Our World/Candle of the Lord Joy Webb/Joy Webb
- Silent Night Franz Gruber
- King of Kings, Majesty Jarrod Cooper
- The Londonderry Air Traditional Irish Melody
- Lydia Thomas Phillips
- O My Jesus Robert Redhead
- The Water of Tyne Traditional English folk song
- St. Clement Clement C. Scholefield
- God Be With You Till We Meet Again Ralph V. Williams
- At the End of the Day Donald O’Keefe